Monday, November 3, 2014

#fedupchallenge - day two!

As a form of positive procrastination today I've spent hours researching how carbohydrates transform into glucose. Thrilling. No really. In my (weird) opinion, it's common knowledge that complex carbohydrates are better than the starchy, "white" carbs found in white pasta, potatoes, white bread and white rice. I understand that their darker compadres (buddies for those of you not down with the lingo) are friendlier to our bodies however carbohydrates still aren't our bodies best friend. This makes me sad because I love me some carbs (particularly when they are liquid, bubbly and served cold). However, I'm now intrigued obsessed with getting the real low down on these little buggers so I'll keep you updated!


Breakfast was exactly the same as yesterday, come Thursday (market day!) I'll up my breakfast game.

Lunch 

Mondays are a super busy day for me with class from 08:45 until 18:00 thus I usually have left overs or something quick. MIND BLOWING INSIDER TIP ALERT! I've always got a stash of hard boiled eggs in the fridge. A cheap, veggie friendly source of protein and healthy omega-3 fats that can be enjoyed in so many different ways! Today I teamed them up with a piece of the Soda Bread we made yesterday, raw sugar snaps and cucumber slices finished off with apple slices drowned in cinnamon. My friend Becci mentioned that my plate looked sad as it was lacking colour. This comment caught my attention because I've always been told eating colours is actually really important as each colour group provides your body with different nutrients. Maybe I'll blog about that some other time I'm only bringing it up because I'm justifying my flag which although provided no nutritional value it definitely made my lunch THRILLING. Take that for colour, Becci!


Dinner

On Mondays Lonneke, our friend Lisanne and I run a public speaking workshop (Vox) at our university. As we all have class until 6 and it starts at 7:15 we always grab a quick dinner beforehand (definitely not time used to plan our lessons in...). I decided to whip up my FAVOURITE go to soup recipe which literally consists of one ingredient: sweet potato. I love sweet potato for so many reasons, so many that I'm going to dedicate a whole post to them in the near future. And trust me, you'll be seeing a lot of them in the coming days! This dish is SO versatile that literally every single ingredient (bar the sweet potato, obvs) can be tweaked, removed, multiplied or googled. I'm not going to include quantities because I literally just throw things in a pan and hope for the best. I genuinely believe this is the way forward! Here goes:


Sweet potato soup

Sweet potatoes
Water
Onions
Garlic
Oil (I always use coconut oil, there's a chemical in olive oil that doesn't like being heated up and becomes toxic! SECOND SNEAKY TIP OF THE DAY - WE'RE ON A ROLL!)
Chili Flakes
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Salt
Pepper
Bacon Bits
Kale
Kwark

Peel your sweet potatoes and cut them into chunks. I don't know if this actually speeds up the boiling process but it will make the blending easier so just do it. Or don't. Whatevs. Pop them into a pot, cover them with water, add a little salt and wait for them to become tender (tender = you can effortlessly glide a knife through them). Whilst you're waiting for this chop your onions and crush your garlic then pop them in another pan with your oil of choice (not too hot or you'll burn your garlic!). Add chili flakes and fry them all around until the onion looks softish then take off the heat. If you're feeling really talented (and have enough hobs) fry your bacon at the same time. You don't need to add any oil because it's fatty enough as it is! In fact, once it's done pop it on a plate on some kitchen towel (or toilet paper if you're a normal student who doesn't own that kind of shit) and let it absorb some of the fat. Your tatties (potatoes for those of you still not down with the lingo) should be boiled by now so drain them, give 'em a quick rinse and then put them back in their pot. Add some water and your onion pan contents. Season with cinnamon & nutmeg, salt & pepper then blitz with a food processor (hand held ones are easiest here!). Add more water until you have you desired consistency. Now you can add your bacon & kale! I usually leave my soup off the heat for a while now so all the flavours can mix but by now it smells so bloody good that you might want to skip this step. Pop into bowls, sprinkle some extra kale (or bacon... or both) and add a dollop of kwark. Boom. So friggen cheap & easy it's almost a sin not to make it. I dare you to try. Let me know how it goes!


Day two of the #fedupchallenge has been survived! Lonneke and I have the feeling that we're doing something wrong because this is way too easy! Anyone who knows any more about nutrition maybe care to comment?

I'm well excited for day three as I have the day off uni and I've recruited my secret crush (whoops, sorry Stijn) the one and only Mr Jamie Oliver to help me out in the kitchen!

Okay, bis morgen, Tschüss! Tiger Laylay xo

No comments:

Post a Comment