Saturday, July 12, 2014

Give me one of your white girls

Opuwo, Opuwo, Opuwo. I'm not quite sure where to start or what to say right now to be completely honest! Part of my course requirements is to keep a personal diary of our program. This diary should be reflections of our days here including emotions and feelings and all those things and I'm still debating whether to keep my blog as a structured account of my days, as a place my parents can come to make sure I'm still alive and kicking, perhaps sugar coating a little how I'm feeling in fear of what I'm putting on the Internet or keeping it raw and honest, like in my good ol' fashioned paper diary. Because if I was going to be honest I'd say I'm not having the best of times right now. I feel discriminated and uncomfortable, unsafe and awkward 85% of the time. However, I feel more inclined to write about the other 15% of the time where I'm applying all known skills of making the best out of what there is and having an amazing time. So far I've met a few friendly people and seen some amazing sights. We'll see where the wind goes (or better what my fingers type, as sometimes they seem to go quicker than my brain!).

In regards to a structured account of what we've been up to:

Friday 11: arrived at Abba Guesthouse, Opuwo located at the end of what seemed a to be a never ending road of stares. The interesting thing of this road (turns out that it's the main street) was the mix of people we encountered here. The scantily clad Himba intertwined with the fully covered Herero, men in suits and ladies in Adidas tracksuits. However different they were in regards to their attire skin colour is something you cannot change and ours was most definitely something of interest. A quick trip to the supermarket proved to be a bit of a mistake even in a group of 15. I thought Spanish builders were good at making me feel uncomfortable, Opuwans bring a whole new game! I think it's safe to say we'll definitely remember the advice to only walk around with locals.

Saturday 12: guided tour of Opuwo by local high school students. Arriving at their highschool to pick them up was yet another circus show with the kids almost incapable of looking us in the eye when we caught their stares. Awkward is an understatement. I'm currently employing the smile and wave technique with a 90% success rate thus far. I'm aiming for 100% by the time I leave this interesting town.

No more updates for now as for once in my life I'm a little at loss for words. I currently feel like I've been catapulted out of my comfort-zone and I'm still searching for stable ground to begin my slow crawl back to it ;)

As always, much love, Tiger Laylay xo

P.s blog title is one of the translated cat calls from today. I'm not sure if I prefer the translated ones or the ones I have no idea what their saying and I can just smile and wave to. Again, I'll keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment