Sunday, June 29, 2014

Restoring my faith in humanity

Wowza, it's been a crazy few days in which my faith in humanity has been 1000% restored! Im going to try to break them down for easy reading and as quickly as possible for internet reasons..

JEFFERYS BAY ATTEMPT 2 (27/06)

Checked out of Once for rhe second time with no plans for my day. Skyped with Jon in the Lobby where I apparently moaned at some point about not having a coat. Once i finished my conversation a girl approached me to tell me she had a spare coat and we spent the rest of the day exploring cape town together. Faith in humanity 50% restored.

Grabbed a taxi to the bus station (again) where I got stuck in rush hour traffic. I asked the taxi driver to just let me out as it was still light and, having wondered around there just yesterday in search for a legit taxi, I knew my way. The taxi driver gave a nervous laugh, shook his head and told me there was no way he'd let a little white girl with a huge backpack walk alone in this area regardless of daylight. I told him about my evening stroll the previous evening to which he reaponed that I'd been extremely lucky. He then switched off the meter in order to get me safely to the station at a non astronomical price.  Faith in humanity restored 75%.

Now for the biggun. The disastrous bus journey.

First it should be noted that plans had changed and I was to meet Lola and Marike in Knysna as opposed to Jeffreys Bay. This ment I'd arrive at 2am, still a decent time. At around 1am I double checked the ETA which now somehow was 4am. I called the girls to let them know using the last of my SA credit. At 3am the bus pulled into an empty parking lot and announced our arrival in Knysna. Enter: panic. I couldn't reach the girls and they weren't going to arrive until 4. Rhe conductor picked up o n my panic and felt terrible about giving me the wrong time. He promised to stay until i got a safe way home and other people also began to fuss. An elderly gentleman who had been waiting for his family noticed the drama and offered to not only Google the hostel but drive me there too. We didnt all fit in the car so he did two journeys, one to take me to the girls and one for his own family. He also made his grandkids stay in the car so I wouldbt be scared. Faith in humanity 1500% restored.

More adventure stories to come but  enough for now! Its been a great two days reunited with the girls including whale watching and hot springs.

Current location: Montagu

Next destination: Cape Town

Over and out, Laylay xo

No comments:

Post a Comment