Wednesday, July 16, 2014

How to confuse a rhino

And we all knew it was only a matter of time, nee? It's only been three days but those of you who know me well know I have the most ridiculous maternal instincts and I've managed to get even the too cool for school boys under my wing. As for the younger girls, I genuinely don't know what I'm going to do with myself when the time comes to leave them! From braiding my hair to playing with my camera to shouting at the crude boys who cat call at me in Otji-Herero to laughing at my own Otji-Herero these kids have definitely nestled themselves firmly into my heart. Their undying good spirits and their motivation to work even when they are sharing one pencil between the 6 of them amazes me. However, although their squabbles over the only calculator in the class or how they routinely throw the 5 pens they share around can seem comical at times the underlying truth of the matter is actually quite heartbreaking. I managed to have a good conversation with the whole lot of them yesterday including the boys about cultures. They excitedly explained who belonged to what tribe and explained all the visible traditions that came with them. I learnt that breech Herero babies have to wear a specific necklace their whole lives as they are born with a deathwish and should they remove the necklace they will die. Also, that the Himba kids have specific teeth removed for cultural reasons. From ancestor stories I learnt how to dodge rhinos and elephants (by zigzagging if any of you are interested! Both animals can run fast but can't change direction quickly) and that lions attack white people because we look like meat fat whereas black people can pretend to be trees. No doubt an educational day!

Today was a little tougher as I sat down for a chat with the accounting teacher. I asked her why so many children don't have books or at least pens and why so many of them fail to do their homework. She explained how many of them live alone (average age is 16 mind) and far from the school. That many of them walk for hours to get "home" which may be a tent in someone's garden or a shack with unreliable electricity. Then of course there's still the issue of food, with many learners not having a guaranteed meal a day, homework understandably becomes the least of their worries. This creates a lose lose situation as the students in these positions lose their motivation they lower the motivation of the remaining students both through being disruptive and slowing the level of the classes down. Another influential factor was that of the Himba, a nomadic tribe prominent in this region. She gave the example of a family with 5 children, three of which are allowed to attend school and two who must stay home and attend to the cattle in order to maintain a steady source of income. The three kids that attend school now are then expected to support their other siblings in the future. Seems pretty logical, right? However some of these kids have no idea why they have to go to school. They see everyone else around them tending cattle and they know that's what they'll be doing as soon as they get home. Long story short, for every motivated student unfortunately there are four who genuinely have no idea why they are going to school.

A great example of everything this teacher was talking about occurred during the following period. During history, the students were asked to answer a few questions in preparation for their exam. They had to flip through the book and answer as a group. I was sat at a table with 6 of them who fully exploited my presence with constant questions about words in their book. I could appreciate the confusion upon the first few words, such as counterbalance or prominent, but when they asked what superiority and multiracial ment it became apparent that these kids had no idea what their book was about or what any of it ment. And then it got worse. My grade 9 class had absolutely no clue what apartheid was and thought that the 'negritude' movement was simply what black people called themselves in Nigeria. Up until today I'd been fiercely defending the level of education I felt the students were receiving but unfortunately with a heavy heart I retract my words. Today has been tough on the heartstrings!

To end with a smile non internship adventures have included a successful trip to the supermarket where I was stopped by a charming older gentleman, Peter, who asked if I was Dutch. I told him I was, much to his delight, and he told me he was of Dutch decent and had nothing but admiration for our people. He then asked if he could take a picure of me to keep on his phone and if I could take one of him to show my parents that he was Dutch too. He wanted to whole world to know he was Dutch and said I could put his picture on my phone too. I'll take that as a confirmation to pop him on my blog so pictures will follow!! Finally he asked if I was married to which I replied not yet. His response: good on ya girl, you're young and beautiful don't let no man fuck you up. Solid life advice from the no toothed, Dutch descended gentleman at the supermarket in rural Opuwo, who'd have said. So Stijn if you're reading this, no marriage proposals quite yet please as Peter wouldn't approve!

Toddle pip my lovelies from a much happier Tiger xo

No comments:

Post a Comment